Tuesday, November 8, 2011

2nd Trimester ~ Eating For Two? ~


Most people would say that when a woman is pregnant, she is eating for two. Well, in my case, it's not entirely true. My daily portion of meals are still the same as before I was pregnant. During my first trimester, my weight actually fluctuates and I lost about 3-5 kgs during the fasting month. My weight only started to increase bit by bit in my second trimester but still it fluctuates up and down. I guess it's because I cannot eat large meals in one seating but had to eat small portions and should repeat when I get hungry again (which I rarely do since I would only eat 3 meals a day and then not repeat my meals -- too lazy to do so!).

I am so relieved that my first trimester had gone by safely and now I am not so prone to be sick all day and night anymore. The sickness is still there but only occasionally. It's now either morning, during the day or at night. As my bout of nauseousness has lessened, my appetite to eat has increased a little bit. As my tummy continues to grow bit by bit everyday, my normal daily routine and favourite pastime of shopping continues to decrease.

Since I suddenly have lost all lovey-dovey feeling of going to the shopping mall, the feeling for eating out also had mysteriously disappeared. We actually can count with one hand how many times we go out and eat our dinner especially on weekdays. For lunch hour I had no choice but to eat out at Alamanda with my elder sister since there's no other options available (if she does not have any meetings, that is). The cafeteria at my office kind of sucks, so I rarely buy food there unless most necessary.

My choice of menu had also somewhat decreased. Now I am not very keen to eat chicken but beef is all right as long as it is cooked right and does not have that beefy smell. For some reason, I seem to crave for my mom's cooking. The ultimate dish that I can eat without any side effects when eaten with rice is my mom's sambal ikan bilis tumbuk (crushed anchovies cooked to crispy perfection with chilies and spices, yum!). I am always happy to have that and a piece of bergedel. Prawns are also top on my list but I know that preggies should not eat too much seafood, right?

Remember that I mentioned earlier that my sweet tooth had suddenly gone? I think it's due to the thought of getting diabetes during my pregnancy somehow scared me into not taking sugar like before (plus the thought of going through that sugar-paste-glucose-test! Eeeww!). But I do have a craving for pavlova that mush be cooked by my sister and she's going to bake one for me. Thinking about the crispy and gooey meringue topped with whipped cream and strawberries makes my mouth water. Yummy!

Cravings and all included, so far my portion of meals are still the same as ever. So the term 'eating-for-two' is so not for me. But who knows, I might end up with a larger appetite for food once all traces of morning/afternoon/evening sickness is gone and my weight might play catch up then. Whatever happens, I pray to Almighty Allah SWT for good health and I hope the baby is getting all the nutrients it should.


0 comments on "2nd Trimester ~ Eating For Two? ~"

Post a Comment

 

ttc.. and counting.. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez