Monday, June 1, 2009

Pre Operation - The First Day at Tawakal


1st of June 2009 finally came. As instructed by Dr. S, I was supposed to come in at the hospital to be admitted for my operation. I was scheduled for my laparotomy in the next 24 hours. My husband loaded up our car with the bags that we've packed the night before and we drove to the hospital in the early morning traffic. At the hospital, there were quite a number of forms I had to sign to be admitted. At that moment I did felt quite nervous as I signed the consent form for the deed to be done (it felt like I am signing my own death form). I never would have guessed that one day I'd be one of those people that goes under the knife. When my husband and I signed up for an insurance policy a few years back, little did we know that we'd end up using it later on in life. I guess life is a little bit funny that way.

After the registration hoopla was over and done with, my husband and I wheeled our week-long bag through the hospital, into the lift and finally into my ward. The number of my room was 210, at level 1. We were given time to adjust and familiarize ourselves with the room. It was a single occupancy room with a long couch (for my hubby to sleep on) and an attached bathroom. There was a small television hanging at the ceiling at the foot of the sickbed. There was a medicine trolley beside the bed and a cupboard at the end of the room for us to stash our clothes and food too.

After a while, a nurse came in and told me that I was needed for routine checkup at Dr. S' clinic. I went there to get a final ultrasound to check the size of my cyst (which had grown up to 12cm already!) and did some blood tests, x-rays and breathing tests (because of my asthma) at various levels all over the hospital. By the time all the tests were done, it was already noon.

For my last lunch before the operation, we walked to a nearby McD outlet. I know, it's not much but I suddenly had a craving for apple pie a la mode. I do have a sweet tooth and that cannot be cured, I think. The nurses reminded us that I was only allowed to be out of the hospital for one hour. So, a one hour lunch date with my dear hubby it is. ( ^_^ ) After lunch, we trotted back dutifully to the hospital with me suddenly feeling like there was a heavy cloud hanging over me.

Later that evening, doctors came and saw me to explain about the whole procedure for tomorrow. There were three doctors involved, my gynecologist, my lung doctor and the anaesthetic expert. Dr. S was going to do the operation herself, Dr. C (my lung doctor) was going to oversee and standby in case I hyperventilate and have an asthma attack during operation and Dr. A was going to anesthetize me (in other words, knock me out cold). He initially wanted to just numb me waist down by injecting the meds into my spine but I opted to be fully unconscious since I know I won't be able to look at all the blood.

And now I am sitting in this chair typing whatever comes to mind so that I could have my few last words before I go down under.. Good night guys.. Sweet dreams.. ( ^_^ )


0 comments on "Pre Operation - The First Day at Tawakal"

Post a Comment

 

ttc.. and counting.. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez