Saturday, December 6, 2008

HSG Scan.. Does It Hurt?


After the first LPPKN appointment, my dear husband and I were given the mission to complete a HSG scan. Before I ramble on about my experience with the procedure, let me supply you some information on what a HSG scan is all about.

[This information was referred from WebMD]
A hysterosalpingogram (HSG) is an X-ray test that looks at the inside of the uterus and fallopian tubes and the area around them. It often is done for women who are having a hard time becoming pregnant (infertile). During a hysterosalpingogram, a dye (contrast material) is put through a thin tube that is put through the vagina and into the uterus. Because the uterus and the fallopian tubes are hooked together, the dye will flow into the fallopian tubes. Pictures are taken using a steady beam of X-ray (fluoroscopy) as the dye passes through the uterus and fallopian tubes. The pictures can show problems such as an injury or abnormal structure of the uterus or fallopian tubes, or a blockage that would prevent an egg moving through a fallopian tube to the uterus. A blockage also could prevent sperm from moving into a fallopian tube and joining (fertilizing) an egg. A hysterosalpingogram also may find problems on the inside of the uterus that prevent a fertilized egg from attaching (implanting) to the uterine wall.

My sister had gone through a HSG scan before and told me that it won't hurt. The whole procedure is sort of like a pap smear but instead of swabbing, a catheter in inserted to inject the dye. She said I would only feel a little bit of a discomfort when the doctor uses the speculum on me. A speculum is basically a tool used to open up the vagina so that the catheter can be inserted to do the dye injection. Knowing what a wuss I am about pain, I read up on HSG scan quite a lot on the internet and end up with mixed comments from people all over the world. Some are saying it doesn't hurt, and some are saying it hurts a lot! In the end I felt a lot worried about the whole thing but whatever happens I still have to go through with it.

On the day of the scan, my dear husband accompanied me to the hospital. I was trying to get my nerves to calm down unsuccessfully. I gave my X-ray form to the radiologist attendant and waited for my name to be called out. They called me in after some time later and I was ushered into a changing room and told to put on a hospital gown and remove all jewelry. I was then told to empty my bladder as well. Then a few minutes later, I was called in to the X-ray room to lie down on a big flat surface attached to a huge X-ray machine. The nurse there then positions my legs and asked me some routine questions. Then a doctor came in. She then asked me a few questions and explained the procedure to me, told me to relax and not panic.

As soon as she inserted the speculum, all hell breaks loose. It hurts like nobody's business! I was not able to relax and my muscle clenched uncontrollably. The doctor kept telling me to unclench my muscles but I have no control whatsoever and was in pain. It felt like somebody's ripping out my insides. Boy the pain felt like fire to me. The doctor kept trying to calm me down up until she warned me that I might have to abort this session and try again another time. I think that registered into my brain and I tried my hardest to gain control over my muscles. I think it worked a little bit because the doctor then proceeded to use the catheter to inject the die. Once she started to inject the dye and loosened up the speculum I felt a little bit relieved of the ripping pain.

The injection of the dye felt like thick fluid ballooning inside my uterus. It was very uncomfortable and a felt like heavy menstrual pain going in backwards. As the procedure went along, I was able to see the dye traveled through the fallopian tubes and spilled out at both ends. The doctor explained what I was looking at on the X-ray screen and told me that sometimes if there is a blockage, the dye could clear the blockage to enhance the chance of getting pregnant.

After all the procedure was done, the doctor then informed that usually after a HSG scan the dye will flow out of the body like period and sometimes there would be a little bit of blood as well. I was told to lie down for about 20-30 minutes to relax and gain my strength. This was the time when my the tears I was holding in during the painful catastrophe slowly trickled down the sides of my face. After time was up, I was given a hospital pad to wear and then told to get dressed and wait for my results. The waiting wasn't that long and as soon as I got the X-ray film and result, my husband and I dashed back home so I could rest.

The result that I received was:
[HYSTEROLPINGOGRAM
Normal plain film.
After contrast the uterine cavity appears normal in shape.
It lies to the right of the mid line.
Both tubes appear normal in caliber and peritoneal spill is noted from both sides.
The spill from the right tube appears loculated in the midline and the spill from the lefttube overlies the sacroiliac joint.
Appearances suggest the presence of pelvic adhesions.]

Well, that was what I experienced during my HSG scan. Not everyone will go through the same thing and end up feeling pain during the procedure. So to answer the question in the title, yes, a HSG scan does hurt, BAD! To me, that is. Please don't rely on my one experience because everybody's pain threshold is different and I have a really low level of pain tolerance. I do really hope that everything is well and the result is not something that we can be worried about. The next step is to visit the LPPKN clinic to get my blood withdrawn again for another round of hormone test.

Until the next post, see ya guys! Baby dust to every hoping mommy-to-be out there. ( ^_^ )


0 comments on "HSG Scan.. Does It Hurt?"

Post a Comment

 

ttc.. and counting.. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez